The Upside of Unrequited is a young adult novel by Becky Albertalli, and the second installment in the Creekwood Series. However, it is not a direct follow-up to Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda but rather a spin-off novel that follows the twin sisters Molly Peskin-Suso and Cassie Peskin-Suso.
Seventeen-year-old Molly Peskin-Suso knows all about unrequited love—she’s lived through it twenty-six times. She crushes hard and crushes often, but always in secret. Because no matter how many times her twin sister, Cassie, tells her to woman up, Molly can’t stomach the idea of rejection. So she’s careful. Fat girls always have to be careful.
Then a cute new girl enters Cassie’s orbit, and for the first time ever, Molly’s cynical twin is a lovesick mess. Meanwhile, Molly’s totally not dying of loneliness—except for the part where she is. Luckily, Cassie’s new girlfriend comes with a cute hipster-boy sidekick. Will is funny and flirtatious and just might be perfect crush material. Maybe more than crush material. And if Molly can win him over, she’ll get her first kiss and she’ll get her twin back.
There’s only one problem: Molly’s coworker Reid. He’s an awkward Tolkien superfan with a season pass to the Ren Faire, and there’s absolutely no way Molly could fall for him. Right?
- Molly Peskin-Suso – The 17-year-old, heavyset protagonist
- Cassie Peskin-Suso – Molly's lesbian twin sister
- Mina – Cassie's new girlfriend, who is a pansexual Korean-American
- Will – Mina's best friend with whom Cassie is trying to set up with Molly
- Reid – Molly's geeky co-worker, whom she has a crush on
- Molly and Cassie are both first-cousins to Abigail Suso, from Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda.
- This is the only book cover (of the American editions) in the series to not feature the main character.